Government consultants work closely with public officials to improve the performance and processes of local and federal government. These consultants counsel leaders on a wide range of issues including economic development, disaster recovery and planning, strategy innovation, IT solutions, organization design, service improvement, and initiative execution.
Salary varies widely depending on role, education level, and location. Consultants typically have higher salaries, but less job security, than employees of federal agencies. Consultants will typically start out between $50k and $80k, depending on organization and location.
Organizations and Alumni
Firms offering public sector consulting services include:
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Bain & Company
- Boston Consulting Group
- Abt Associates
- IBM Public Sector Consulting
- Huron Consulting Group
- Public Consulting Group
- Case Interviews
- WATCH: What is Consulting?
- WATCH: Case Interview Tips from the Class of 2016
- WATCH: Case Interviewing Experiences & Tips
- Vault Guides to Public Sector Consulting
- Career Exploration and Development Library – books on case interview prep and more