Training and Development, also called Learning and Development, supports and organization by assessing knowledge and skill gaps in the workforce and designing and delivering training products to close those gaps. They might work with individuals or groups to improve job performance. These professionals often work within Human Resources, and combine presentation, research, and coaching skills to be successful.
From the Occupational Outlook Handbook published by the Bureau of Labor:
- 2016 Median Salary: $59,020
Do your research to get a better sense of what specific companies in particular cities are paying entry-level employees. Check out Glassdoor and Salary.com to get an idea. Also, a cost of living calculator can be very useful when trying to compare salaries in different parts of the country.
Nearly every organization practices learning and development in some way, and larger organizations will have a team of specialists who focus on skill development in the workforce.
- Association for Talent Development
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Academy of Human Resource Development
- Academy of Management
- Adult Education Research Conference (AERC)
- American Association for Adult and Continuing Education
- American Society for Training and Development
- International Council for Adult Education (ICAE)
- National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy (NCSALL)
- Society for Human Resource Management
- UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL)