Are you fascinated by how different species are wired? Curious about the chemical and biological processes of the brain? Intrigued by the mind – brain connection? Consider the field of neuroscience. Talk with professors in the department to learn more about the field and research being done on campus.
Salaries vary widely depending on role, geographic location, and level of experience. Look at specific roles in the the Occupational Outlook Handbook, published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Do your research to get a better sense of what specific companies in particular cities are paying entry-level employees. Check out Glassdoor and Salary.com to get an idea. Also, a cost of living calculator can be very useful when trying to compare salaries in different parts of the country.
Organizations and Alumni
- American Neurological Association
- Cognitive Neuroscience Society
- International Behavioral Neuroscience Society
- Society for Neuroscience
- Neurotechnology Industry Organization (NIO); the NIO’s member list can be found here.
- Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience (REUs)
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Pathways to Science
- National Science Foundation
- Preparing for Graduate School
- Amherst College list of summer neuroscience programs
- The Jackson Laboratory Summer Student Program
- Boston Children’s Hospital, Laboratories of Cognitive Neuroscience
- Boston University, Undergraduate Neuroscience Research
- The Lieber Institute for Brain Development
- MIT Brain and Cognitive Science
- National Institute of Health (NIH)’s website for further career ideas.
- (Denzel) Washington Family Scholars Program in Neuroscience, a one year position at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in LA.
Summer Research at Bowdoin
Many Bowdoin students gain valuable research in neuroscience on campus during the summers through departmental and institutional fellowships. The Paller Neuroscience Research Fellowship and the Lowry Neuroscience Fellowship are both overseen by the Biology Department with deadlines in February.
Additional institutional fellowships are offered through the Office of Student Fellowships and Research. You can find them here: Bowdoin Neuroscience Fellowships. There are also Bowdoin Mini Grants for Research to support academic year research and travel.