Environmental consulting firms provide support to companies and organizations to address environmental and natural resource protection, laws and initiatives. Larger firms will offer services across a broad range of specialty areas while smaller companies have a targeted focus. Areas of expertise include: hazardous waste remediation and removal, waste management services, sustainability practices, green design, public policy research, strategic and economic analysis, regulatory compliance, conflict resolution, communication and meeting facilitation among others.
Watch this video to learn more about careers in the environmental industry.
Salaries vary widely depending on role, geographic location, and level of experience. Look at specific roles in the the Occupational Outlook Handbook, published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Do your research to get a better sense of what specific companies in particular cities are paying entry-level employees. Check out Glassdoor and Salary.com to get an idea. Also, a cost of living calculator can be very useful when trying to compare salaries in different parts of the country.
Organizations and Alumni
Environment Science / Engineering / Regulatory Compliance
- GZA GeoEnvironmental (MA, many)
- Haley & Aldrich (MA, many)
- St Germain Collins (Westbrook, ME)
- Triumvirate Environmental (MA, East Coast)
- The Vertex Companies (MA, many)
- Woodard & Curran (ME, many)
- Sevee & Maher Engineering (ME, GA)
Policy / Evaluation / Planning /Research / Strategic Analysis / Mediation
- Cadmus Group (MA, many)
- Cascadia Consulting (WA, AZ, CA)
- Competitive Energy Services (Portland, ME)
- Eastern Research Group (MA, many)
- Marstel Day (VA)
- Meridian (CO, DC)
- RESOLVE (DC)
Broader Consulting Firms
Economic Research & Analysis
Transportation / Green Building
Large Consulting Firms
- ARCADIS (CO, many)
- Bechtel (CA, many)
- CDM Smith (MA, many)
- Jacobs (many)
- Kleinfelder (CA, ME, many)
- Parsons Brinckeroff (NY, many)
- Stantec (ME, many)
- Tetra Tech (ME, many)