Social workers, community health workers, substance abuse counselors, rehabilitation counselors, and marriage and family therapists all work in social services. Some occupations, such as Social and Human Service Assistants, require a bachelors degree or less. Most other professions in this category require a Master’s degree.
From the Occupational Outlook Handbook, published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- 2016 Median Salary: $42,990
Salaries vary widely depending on role, geographic location, and level of experience. Do your research to get a better sense of what specific companies in particular cities are paying entry-level employees. Check out Glassdoor and Salary.com to get an idea. Also, a cost of living calculator can be very useful when trying to compare salaries in different parts of the country.
Healthcare, government, nonprofit, educational, and judicial organizations employ social services professionals. Examples include:
- Family Crisis Services
- Catholic Charities
- Lahey Health
- Office of Child and Family Services, Maine
- Preparing for Graduate School
- Service Corps
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- The Association for Addiction Professionals
- American Association for Marriage and Family Counseling
- PsycCareers is a valuable resource for connecting top-quality candidates with jobs in a variety of psychology disciplines. http://www.apa.org/careers/psyccareers/
- Psychology Jobs – http://www.psychologyjobs.com/
- Students thinking about career paths as well as those embarking upon a full-time job search. http://mastersinpsychologyguide.com/careers/
- The New Social Worker – www.socialworker.com/career.htm
- Social Work.com – www.socialwork.com
- Social Work & Social Services Jobs On-line – http://gwbweb.wustl.edu/jobs/
- Internship Program – www.internshipprograms.com
- Careerpath – job listings – www.careerpath.com (key words – social worker)
- Master’s degree in Social Work – MSWGuide.org Includes a guide to social work careers for graduates, A breakdown of social work licensure in each state, and more.