A career in conservation might include protecting wildlife, habitats, water, forests, or anything else related to the environment. Jobs in conservation range from roles in the government, large NGOs, nonprofits, and corporations working on sustainability. Here is a blog post written by James Borrell with a pretty good list of career paths in conservation (with a bit of humor thrown in as well).
Conservation might include:
- Climate Change
- Habitat Protection/Field Research
- GIS Mapping
- Parks and Outdoor Recreation
- Trail Maintenance
- Wildlife Management
From the Occupational Outlook Handbook published by the Bureau of Labor:
- 2016 Median Salary: $60,610
Salaries vary widely depending on role, geographic location, and level of experience. Do your research to get a better sense of what specific companies in particular cities are paying entry-level employees. Check out Glassdoor and Salary.com to get an idea. Also, a cost of living calculator can be very useful when trying to compare salaries in different parts of the country.
Organizations and Alumni
Consider the Environmental Studies (ES) program here at Bowdoin. The coordinate major enables you to study ES in conjunction with another discipline like economics, biology, Spanish, chemistry, visual arts, earth and oceanographic science, government etc. Gain quantitative, analytical, and research skills as well as facility with Excel, GIS, and statistics. Sign up to get the ES Newsletter. It features on and off campus events, internships, fellowships and jobs.
Get involved with on-campus organizations like Bowdoin Climate Action, Sustainable Bowdoin (Eco-Rep), Green Bowdoin Alliance, Huntington Bird Club, Plant Powered Polar Bears or Bowdoin Outing Club.
There are countless organizations working in conservation. Local, state, and national government organizations are working in conservation. Similarly, land and water trusts, nonprofits, NGOs, and corporations are also working in conservation. Here are a few organizations who are well known:
- The Nature Conservancy
- The National Audubon Society
- The World Wildlife Fund
- Natural Resource Defense Council
- The Sierra Club
- Conservation International
- Environment America
- Waterkeeper Alliance
- Environmental Fellowships: Deadlines for Bowdoin fellowships are in February.
- Institutional Fellowships
- Bowdoin Scientific Station, Kent Island, Canada: Students in natural sciences and the arts are encouraged to apply.
- Cary Institute REU
- Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Program
- Geoscientists in the Park
- Oregon Sea Grant Summer Scholars Program
- The Polaris Project
Post Graduate Fellowships / Internships
- Island Institute, Island Fellows Program
- Hubbard Young Leaders in Conservation Fellowship Program (Nature Conservancy in NE)
- Meridian Fellowship (env. public policy, CO)
- Conservation and Land Management Internship Program (5 months or more)
- Watershed Stewards Program
- Geoscientists in the Park
- Land Trust Job Board
- Conservation Job Board
- International Society of Sustainability Professionals
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs)
- Preparing for Graduate School
- Eco Jobs
- Evolution Directory
- Association for the Study of Animal Behavior
- Texas A&M Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Job Board
- American Ornithology Job Board
- Service Corps